Thursday, February 25, 2010

Polka dot aprons!

Yes Ma’am! My fun-tastic roommate Anna MADE me an apron for Christmas, and I just love putting it to use! I was in the kitch today, and decided that I wanted to try something new. So I pulled out my favorite recipe book, "Sharing Our Best" it's one of those group made recipe books from a church in Plains, MT. I love it because they are all from real people with helpful tips... and most of the ingredients in the recipes, you can find in your cupboard! They are super practical.

I finally settled on Swedish meatballs. I followed the directions, thinking that they sounded a bit bland, but who was I to judge? I had never made them before.... Well it turns out... they were bland. And I had to hurry up and throw some of this and that in it before it was too late. I served them over brown rice and had steamed asparagus as side dish. YUM! I tried steaming veggies tonight for the first time in our rice cooker, and it worked out well! They were fresh, FAT free, and tasty.

I also made a yellow cake from scratch tonight. I like to make cakes for my coworkers when it's their birthdays... and I didn't feel very challenged about making a yellow cake from a box. So I rolled up my sleeves, hopped on the internet and found "Dave's Yellow Cake" recipe on Allrecipes.com. It had great reviews, so I decided to take the plunge and see how it would turn out. I guess I'll find out tomorrow when everyone is eating it! =0)

No comments: